Saturday, January 4, 2014

Day 3: Positive Habit

Decide on one positive habit you’d like to implement in your life. Whether seemingly mundane (like flossing) or perhaps life-altering (exercising every day), think of something you’d like to add to your life that will be beneficial. Then, think about the steps you’ll take to get there, and how you’ll keep yourself accountable.

My positive habit (besides journaling): Reading.

I love reading. I have since I was a kid. But recvently I've found it very difficult to find the time to read. I truth, I tend to choose watching something on a screen over reading it in a book, because it takes less mental stimulation. But that's terrible, and I've felt the effects of it.

I would love to spend a half hour to an hour reading before bed each evening. It calms, collects, and destresses. I think it's a great routine to have, and a good time to have it, so I think I'll run with it. Plus, there's plenty of books I've been meaning to read for a long time.

Steps to get there:
1. Make a starting booklist. Having a set of books I can't wait to get started with will be motivating.

2. Begin by reading for a minimum of five minutes every evening. If I can simply get into the routine of turning a few pages before bed, I can begin increasing to a comfortable time period as I progress. But for now, five minutes is good.

3. For accountability's sake, make a note of what I've read the previous evening in my daily journal here. Include favorite quotes or moments from the text, plus any notes on what's working or not working for me.

4. After a week or two, up the minimum to ten minutes. In another wek or two, fifteen minutes. Work up to a half hour minimum.


Thoughts:
- Based on what I've read, I should avoid anything particularly stimulating just before sleep, though I think the main reason for that is to avoid turning pages late into the night. For now I don't think that will be a problem, since I have trouble reading anything before bed. But I'll keep it in mind.
- Perhaps a good solution to the above would be to avoid, for now, books with a storyline and to instead prefer books of philosophy. I enjoy reading philosophy, and it would be good to get through a few of them. Plus, I think philosophy is often best read in small chunks, to allow for better digestion.
- I need to take notes while reading, and perhaps review them the next morning. This will give me a place to put great quotes, question or thoughts I have on the text, etc., and will allow for better comprehension, which is invaluable to my scattered brain. I'll have to keep a notebook next to my bed.

I will make a secondary post on this with my booklist.

No comments:

Post a Comment